There are many fan conventions coming up in August. Here’s just a sample…
• Creation Entertainment’s Stargate convention will take place Aug. 17-19 at the Westin O’Hare in Rosemont, Ill. As the only official stop for Stargate fandom, Chicago’s event should be packed. Expected to attend: Michael Shanks, Joe Flanigan, Torri Higginson, Paul McGillion, Robert Picardo, David Nykl, Ryan Robbins, Cliff Simon, Jewel Staite, Dan Payne, Steve Bacic, Chuck Campbell, Alex Zahara, Kate Hewlett and Andee Frizzell. Gold passes are $399, and they include reserved seating, autographs, a dessert party and cabaret performance. Other ticketing options are as low as $20 per day. The hotel is located at 6100 River Road in Rosemont, Ill. Click here for more information.
• The annual Horrorfind Weekend will return to Gettysburg, Pa., Aug. 31 to Sept. 2. In addition to a film festival, costume contest and seminars on haunted houses, plenty of genre guests will be in attendance. Expected to sign autographs over the weekend: Malcolm McDowell, Tyler Mane, Ray Wise, Denise Crosby, Doug Bradley, Ken Foree, Kane Hodder, P.J. Soles, Kim Darby, Lisa Marie, Dee Wallace and Conrad Brooks. Single-day passes are $25 and weekend tickets cost $45. The three-day convention will take place at the Wyndham Gettysburg, 95 Presidential Circle. Click here for more information.
• Monster Mania 22 returns to Cherry Hill, N.J., Aug. 17-19. The festival is built around all things Clive Barker, who will make a rare convention appearance in the United States. Expect to see many Hellraiser actors, including Bradley, Ashley Laurence, Claire Higgins and Andrew Robinson. Other actors meeting fans will be Carl Weathers (his first U.S. convention ever), True Blood’s Kevin Alejandro, Nancy Allen, Joey Lauren Adams, Night of the Living Dead’s John Russo and Tom Savini. Expect reunions for the casts of Slap Shot (Steve Carlson, Jeff Carlson and David Hanson) and The Walking Dead (Jeffrey DeMunn, Emma Bell, Madison Lintz, Lauren Cohan and Steve Yeun). Friday and Saturday cost $25 each; Sunday is only $20. Weekend passes are $50, while VIP tickets (for Barker or Wethers) are $200. The convention will take place at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, 2349 Marlton Pike West. Click here for more information.
• A couple Twilight actors will attend The Hollywood Show in Burbank, Calif., Aug. 3-5. Expect to see Alex Meraz and Boo Boo Stewart. Also attending is Virginia Madsen, Robert Loggia, Henry Winkler, Edward Furlong and Dean Cain. There is a variety of ticketing options. The event takes place at the Burbank Airport Marriott Hotel & Convention Center, 2500 North Hollywood Way. Click here for more information.
• Crystal Plumage Films will present a special Evil Dead screening at the Forum Theatre in Metuchen, N.J. on Aug. 11 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are only $10. Other events from C.P. include a special showing of Video Violence with director Gary Cohen in person (Sept. 1) and Don’t Go in the House with star Dan Grimaldi attending ($15). The Forum Theatre is located at 314 Main St. in Metuchen, N.J. Click here for more information.
• JawsFest: The Tribute is a four-day festival of all things Jaws. Taking place on Martha’s Vineyard, where the seminal blockbuster was filmed, the convention promises plenty of opportunities to learn about sharks, meet with cast members, scout out locations where the movie was shot and, of course, watch the best summer movie up on a big outdoor screen. There is a variety of ticketing options available, including VIP access. The event will be held Aug. 9-12, and it coincides with Universal’s 100 anniversary and Jaws first-ever release on Blu-ray (Aug. 14). Click here for more information.
By John Soltes / Publisher / John@HollywoodSoapbox.com